Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Tired Feet Upon Waking

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Tired Feet Upon Waking

I have been experiencing the following symptom for years now, kind of grown to live with it but when i ask around nobody else seems to experience it.

I wake up every morning having had plenty of sleep with tired legs in the peripheral region, below my knees down to feet. I wake up whilst still in bed i feel this tiredness, if i sit upright with my legs dangled over the side of the bed i can feel a sort of rush to my feet from just below the knees (like blood rushing to my feet) there may be a slight throbbing / expanding / pumping / burning in the feet sensation. I then stand up on my feet from the bed with this slight burning inside the feet sensation (as if you had been on your feet for the all night then elevated your feet then stood up again).

I start to walk around and my feet are normal, i can walk / run no problems, no cramping, no pain, nothing. When i sit relaxed (like on chair) feet flat on the floor i can feel slight tiredness (like when i first wak up) but ever so lightly that it doesn't even come to mind unless i really concentrate to feel it.

I'm 25 male, smoke 6 cigarettes a day sometimes less, have been since 18. My job involves me sitting in a chair facing a computer all day, Mon - Fri. I also work Saturday night in a busy restaurant where i'm on my feet for 7 hours.
I come home end of shift and put my feet up tired obviously but if i need to stand and walk the symptoms above are even more intense, Sunday morning especially.

I been to see my GP he felt the pulse on my feet and advise they are fine, asked my if i experience any cramping in the calves when i walk etc .. i advise none, he said everythings normal and its probably the smoking. I insisted on cholesteral and diabetes test which i arranged with the GP an appointment to give a urine and blood sample.

What really worries me is that nobody else i speak to experiences this ? i have Googled the internet and found nothing identical to my symptoms, could this be mild PVD ?
There are several classes of conditions which can mimic PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease). These include neurologic disorder such as spinal cord stenosis and peripheral neuropathy (abnormal nerve function). Venous disorders which may cause leg swelling and soreness with prolonged standing. Traumatic Injuries to the legs. And finally, systemic disorders such as raynauds phenomenon which causes involuntary constriction of the small vessels with discoloration to the extremity

The history and physical examination are quite telling in distinguishing these conditions. The fact that you are quite young and despite the fact that you smoke, youre circulation appears normal by the examination which shows palpable pulses, would suggest a non arterial process.

I suspect that you may have some form of venous congestion which is exacerbated by prolonged standing or a pinched nerve worsened by the same stress. These problems could be evaluated by noninvasive measures such as an ultrasound to look at your vein function and some evaluation of nerve conduction.

Given your young age, persistence in finding a cause of these annoying symptoms is prudent. thanks
1 Comment
I have the EXCAT problem you mention!!! I went docs he sed they fine do bit of exercise n start taking a-z multivitamin tablets...it went sway now after about 2-3 month it's back!! Worse in mornings or after waking up from nap
A related discussion, calves &feet hurt upon waking was started.