Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Tired Feet Upon Waking
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tired Feet Upon Waking

Hi,

I have been experiencing the following symptom for years now, kind of grown to live with it but when i ask around nobody else seems to experience it.

I wake up every morning having had plenty of sleep with tired legs in the peripheral region, below my knees down to feet. I wake up whilst still in bed i feel this tiredness, if i sit upright with my legs dangled over the side of the bed i can feel a sort of rush to my feet from just below the knees (like blood rushing to my feet) there may be a slight throbbing / expanding / pumping / burning in the feet sensation. I then stand up on my feet from the bed with this slight burning inside the feet sensation (as if you had been on your feet for the all night then elevated your feet then stood up again).

I start to walk around and my feet are normal, i can walk / run no problems, no cramping, no pain, nothing. When i sit relaxed (like on chair) feet flat on the floor i can feel slight tiredness (like when i first wak up) but ever so lightly that it doesn't even come to mind unless i really concentrate to feel it.

I'm 25 male, smoke 6 cigarettes a day sometimes less, have been since 18. My job involves me sitting in a chair facing a computer all day, Mon - Fri. I also work Saturday night in a busy restaurant where i'm on my feet for 7 hours.
I come home end of shift and put my feet up tired obviously but if i need to stand and walk the symptoms above are even more intense, Sunday morning especially.

I been to see my GP he felt the pulse on my feet and advise they are fine, asked my if i experience any cramping in the calves when i walk etc .. i advise none, he said everythings normal and its probably the smoking. I insisted on cholesteral and diabetes test which i arranged with the GP an appointment to give a urine and blood sample.

What really worries me is that nobody else i speak to experiences this ? i have Googled the internet and found nothing identical to my symptoms, could this be mild PVD ?