Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
chest pain after angioplasy

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

chest pain after angioplasy

I had angioplasty done approx  1 month ago.  Everything seems to be going well except for this annoying kind of pinching sensation in my chest area in different areas of my chest.  Should I be concerned.  I have not yet seen the doctor on follow up but will at the end of this month.  I am very scared of this reoccuring that I think I am overreacting.  Thank you in advance.
Hello
Congratulations on your successful intervention. Are your symptoms the same as those that you had before your procedure (if you had any)?

I always tell patients...If you have any questions, dont hesitate to call and I think that this is one of those cases

Percutaneous angioplasty of any blood vessel including the coronary arteries of the heart does have the possibility of failing. In fact recent research has focused on the failure rate of drug eluting stents in the coronary vessels withing 30-90 days after implantation and has caused some physicians to rethink what the role is for drug eluting stents.
Several years ago, these stents had the perception of being a long awaited solution to may problems. Now we know that they too have their drawbacks.

Most patients are placed on Plavix (clopidogrel) improve the success of anioplasty or stenting.

You should not hesitate to go to the emergency department if your symptoms remain or worsen. If you elect not to do this, you should make a follow up appointment with your specialist soon. Good Luck