Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
high blood platelets,

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

high blood platelets,

i have been having bad pain in my joints for the last year now, i went to the doctor and had blood tests done for several different things, the doc says i dont have any diseases but i have high blood platelets, is that what could be causing my pain?
Hello
How high are your platelets. Platelets are responsible for clot formation in the blood vessels. Thrombocytosis or abnormally high platelets usually manifests as clots in the blood vessels which can cause areas of decreased oxygen in various organs of the body. This can result in pain in these areas. It would be unusual for this to cause joint pain.The treatment for elevated platelet is to be on an agent like aspirin to prevent excessive clotting.
I too have the same problems as you. My blood tests have also shown a high level of platelets with no "normal" reason. I’ve been told to take painkillers (Paramol) which will help with the pain, but they only last for a few hours.
Have you have a diagnosis yet?
I've been booked for an ultrasound scan in the next week so will report back findings.
I, too, have been diagnosed with high blood platelets -- 631.  In checking my previous blood work, I found that even 3 years ago the platelets were in the upper 400s.   I am pretty healthy, work out at the gym 5-6 times a week, work around my house, and am employed as a legal assistant, so I'm not lacking energy or any kind of malady (I'm 64 years of age).  I do take a full aspirin every morning and long with 10 mg of blood pressure medicine.   Question:  What  would happen to me if I did nothing?
Since writing to you on May 28, I have had an ultrasound to determine if my spleen is enlarged.  What would this have to do with an overabundance of platelets?
A related discussion, high blood platelets was started.
A related discussion, platelets was started.