Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
pacemaker lead broken

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

pacemaker lead broken

My mothehas had a pacermaker since 1996 they found a lead had broken in 2000 and could not be removed here in Buffalo NY we were told it would not be ant problem so they put ne wlead in and now it has become infected and now all the leads and pacemaker need to be removed.. Is there any doctor here in Buffalo that can do this safely.. Thank you for your help..or can you tell me were I can look theses doctors up in Buffalo.  Pat
Tags: pacemaker
Hello
You have a fantastic medical community in Buffalo. Im not sure what someone meant when they told you that there was no one in the entire region of Buffalo or Rochester who could not remove a pacmaker wire lead. That would need to be clarified. There is a fantastic medical community in that area. I would recommend to you to ask the cardiologist that cares for your mother about recommendations for a treating physician, practice or university; if the current cardiologist doesnt feel they have the resources to perform the treatment.

Personally, I am always happy to facilitate a referral to another physician when a problem fall outside of my expertise or comfort. I think that having your current doctor involved is the best way because they have all of the medical information about what type of pacemaker, the condition that the pacemaker is treating, the type of leads, the type of infection and the method of placement. Each of these factors is important in figuring out the best method of removal and that dictates your decision about where to seek that treatment.

Bottom line is utilize communication with your current medical providor. Good luck