Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
smaller aorta

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

smaller aorta

I just had my aorta replaced from my kidneys into both legs.  I am a 39 year old female.  The surgeon mentioned that my aorta had a small amount of plaque but the problem was that the actual aorta was smaller than usual so it was almost completely blocked.  Is there anything that would help this?  I'm on Plavix. asprin and lipitor.  I am worried that other vessels could be unusually small and could block easily.  I allready have 2 stents in my heart.  I donated a kidney 3 years ago and wonder if that could have an affect.  
Hello
Do you smoke? Family history? What's your cholesterol  and weight. There is a syndrome called hypoplastic aorta. It is seen in usually in women and becaue of it, they have small blood vessels including the aorta and legs. The problem is that if you develop blockages in blood vessels that are already small in diameter, symptoms develop earlier. There is no medication that will enlarge your blood vessels. The best way to prevent further blockages is smoking cessation if you smoke, tight control of your cholesterol, lo fat diet with fruits and vegetables and exercise program. These things wont prevent the damage that you have already, but the lifestyle changes can prevent future problems.

Good luck and congratulations on  your surgery.