Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
stints and blockage tests

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

stints and blockage tests

i had a cardiac cath today at the va hosp in my area  and was told that i have blockages, two at 50-60% blockage and one that is at 70% blockage. the 70% one was describe as an artery that arches up over the left side of my heart and the other two were on my right side.  after the test the cardio said i needed to come back for another test.  he described it as a test that would measure the pressure readings on each sides of the stints to determine the need for stinting.  he told me the name for this procedure but i could not quite comprehend it.  what type of test is this and what does it mean as far as stinting goes in laymans terms :O)
Hello
Your cardiac cath apparrently revealed several blockages. It sounds like they would like to measure pressures in your blood vessels. Consider this example: You see a four lane highway and during construction, two lanes are blocked for a short segment. To cross the short segment, the traffic has to bottleneck to two lanes. Only a limited no. of cars can cross the area in a given period of time and the number of cars depend on how cooperative the drivers are The pressure measurements that the doctor will perform will look at a pressure before the blockage and after the blockage to see how significant the blockage is. The goal is to avoid putting in a stent unless the blockage is causing you a problem. This pressure measurement will determine this. Good luck. PS make sure that you have a carotid ultrasound to rule out blockages in your carotid vessels, the vessels that cause strokes
thank you.  i will mention this to the cardioligist about the ultra sound.