Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
visible pulse in neck vien

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

visible pulse in neck vien
Iam almost fifty years old.  Recently I noticed that the pulse in my right neck vien is visible.  Is this a sign of heart disease.
Hello
Lets discuss some terminology to make sure that Im answering your question. Two types of blood vessels in the neck. Arteries an veins. A for arteries which take blood away from the heart. these vessels have a pulse. In the neck your artery is located fairly deep under the tissus.If you are relatively thin, the pulse may be barely visible when you are at rest. The Veins which return blood to the heart are more superficial and some lie just beneath the skin. These vessels may be very visible as one ages and the skin sags a little. Veins do not have a pulse. That is to say, I cannot put my finger on a vein in the neck and count my heart beat. The vein may bulge and become more prominent, in some people who have heart conditions, this can be a sign of heart failure.

A related discussion, I have strange pains in my right side and I can regularly see my pulse in my neck, is this normal or should I be worried? was started.
A related discussion, carotid bruit was started.
A related discussion, Pulsating artery/vein in neck was started.