Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

Help

I am a 29 year old female and have been suffering with what feels like constant stimulation of the nerves particularly in my legs and hands. I can feel constant 'muscle grabbing' kind of like mild muscle contractions and I'm conscious of being in a state of tension and needing to deliberately relax muscles in my legs and hands. I have chronically tight muscles in my legs and can't do any physical exercise without being on the verge of pulling muscIe. I used to be a good runner but it is three years since my symptoms began and I now lead a very sedentary lifestyle. am sweating profusely, I'm feeling constanty anxious and struggling with sleep. I don't have very strong muscle contractions that could be described as cramps.I'm exhausted and I don' t know what to do next. I work in a stressful job.

I have seen a neurologist, rheumatologist, gastroentorolist and all tell me I'm in perfect health which is extremely upsetting.

Can anyone please tell me if this could be one of the diseases associated with PNH? Can it simply be stress-related?

Thank you
Tags: help
It is entirely possible this is all from stress, and it is rare that I come to that conclusion.  Fortunately you have seen specialists already, so maybe it is time to get help with relaxation training utilizing biofeedback.  I know this helped me more than anything else when I was in my 20s and could not relax.  Certain kinds of yoga would do something similar if you'd prefer that.  I became very good at the technique and was shocked to find out what it felt like to be relaxed.  It was better than a drug.  From the training I learned how to stay out of the stressed out zone.  It seems to start with hyperventilation, so that's why they tell you to breathe slowly and deeply when you start to get anxious.  It can turn the feeling around.  
Do you also have muscle twitching?
I would have them do a nerve conduction test and tell them to check you for peripheral nerve hyperexcitability syndrome.  They should do a bunch of shocks in one area and test to see if the nerves keep firing when they are done.  Never give up.  I know stress can cause things, but we know our body.  Dr's don't want us to self diagnose, but they have to know we have more time to research about ourselves and we are the ones living with the pain and frustration. It sounds a lot like pnh to me..and I was finally just diagnosed after 2 years of constant dr visits.  Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.