Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
Meralgia Paresthetica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

Meralgia Paresthetica

Meralgia Paresthetica
I lost my left eye in 1960, and having noticed numbness in my left thigh soon after coming out of hospital I ask the doctor, why? He said that the needles that they gave me in hospital were in that region and said the numbness would go in about 12 months. That was in 1960.
In the pursuing years I have been told by my (then) doctor that it is nothing just a pinched nerve and he also sometimes gets it. I did in the early years ask if it would create problems later in life to this the answer by all the doctors since have said no.
A quick explanation of the troubles it causes is; I cannot hold child/heavy things for long as the leg goes numb. I have to keep moving in bed to elevate the numbness. When shopping or walking I often pull my knee into my stomach as this relieves the numbness, but not for long. Watching television is the same. I have had five session of physiotherapy (this actually made it worst) I have had x-rays, told me nothing. I have tried the tens device (electric pulse machine). I have had acupuncture to no avail. And last but not least I have been to a specialist (that told me very little in two minutes) and said he will order an injection to be given that could elevate the problem. The injection was carried out at the hospital, first an ultra sound to demined where the injection went then (I think it was cortisone) the injection. When the doctor had injected the substance into my thigh he said this will stop the pain, these words annoyed me because the first thing I tell the doctors is I have no pain only a very annoying irritation that I think will get worst as I get older. I told this to the doctor and he said, you will most probably need to have the injection every six weeks. That didn’t help especially since ten minutes later while standing in line to get my medic care refund, my thigh was as numb as usual and still is. I have looked on line since and I think my ailment is called Meralgia Paresthetica. I am 65 and feel that the problem is getting worst, what would you suggest?
Regards James