Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
Numbness and pain after Rotor Cuff Operation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone would know if a nerve block i had for a shoulder operation could cause the issues im having with my shoulder and arm now, before i had only pain in my shoulder(rotor Cuff), after the operation and nerve block i had , i am still numb 6 mnths later, have burning feelings in whole arm, cannot turn wrist properly, fingers feel like they are "dead", limited use , all of this and im only 32 years old.  Any answers would be appreciated.  Thanks
I not a neurologist, but it seems that the two could definitely be related.  Why did they do a nerve block there?  I've had them for lower back pain, but didn't know they coul;d do them in that region.  Why didn't they just do surgery on the rotator cuff?  Did you tear it?  The good thing about nerve blocks in your case is that they typically only last 6 months - 2 years, so it is probably not a permanent condition, even though 6 months is a long time for your condition.  Do you know if nerve blocks can be "reversed"?  Very interesting situation...

Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for the response, they do nerve blocks on a rotor cuff operation because they say the pain is immence, i tore 2 ligaments , partial and full thickness tears, they give you the nerve block in your neck by your collarbone, they only way they know if they have it right is when your arm starts jumping up and down, wierd feeling.  I have talked to a few people who have had htem done and they are not totally happy with them, i started at a pain clinic today and i am seeing a special team of pain clinic people next week, and am getting a second opinion form a top shoulder surgeon, hopefully they can help me out and either resolve the issue or make it more comfy.

Once again thanks for the response.

Kiwi
Hi I've had a nerve block for a shoulder reconstruction in the past, the effects of the nerve block were short lived and only a 12 hr block for pain relief, from what your saying I would definatly go for a 2nd opinion as by now the numbness (post surgery) should be setteling.  You say you are experiencing a burning sensation down your arm, problems  with your fingers  and having trouble turning  your wrist.   I have  had  continuous and constant chronic  pain which is not relayed back to the nerve  block but due to other complications causing  permanent nerve damage. I to was reffered to a  pain clinic and  was an inpatient for about 3 weeks and I still  continue at the clinic as an outpatient for just  over 2 1/2yrs now. I  would personally take the  time if I was you, to research both orthopaedic  shoulder specialists and  proffesors of  neuorology. Hope the pain clinic helps you!
I had a rotor cuff operation by open surgery Sept 09 for a complete rupture of the tendon I had a nerve block in the neck whilst I was being put under so I did not experience any twitching of the arm. When I came round apart from vomiting which I now read should be reduced by having the block, it didn't? I further had my left hand frozen all as I would expect. As the effect wore off I too have been left with pain in my hand with reduced movement of my little and ring finger, and suffer pain down my forearm this is only 10 weeks ago but I am worried about the prognosis for sure, but amazed that I was never told of what seems common although we are led to believe it is a rare occurrence.This could severely cause me problems for future work, and think that some redress my be in order.
I had a nerve block 10/25/12 for rotator cuff surgery it was not in my neck but was in my left arm just below my shoulder my arm was numb down to my fingertips but the shoulder was thumping when i woke up it was numb for 24 hours now i have numbness in wrist and forearm where it is not numb it is a constant ache in that area i was not told about the possible side affects i dont think these are RARE OCCURANCES i think these are every time occurances that they dont tell you about
I had rotator cuff surgery almost 3 months ago.  The surgery seems to have been successful, but it has left me with numbness and pain in my little and ring fingers, and also extreme pain in my forearm if I attempt some of the PT exercises.  The PT seems to think it is from a nerve in my neck.  The doctor thinks it's the ulnar nerve, possibly irritated by the long-term use of the sling after surgery.  It was a complication I never expected.  Like many of you, it doesn't seem like a rare thing to happen.