Thumb and Palm Pain
Hi there,
I hoping I can get some type of help from here because I feel I'm going crazy.  I have been seeing doctors for the last four to five years but a lot more the last two years trying to get a cure or diagnosis for pain that I have in my right palm and thumb area.  The pain is a burning/throbbing/and hyper sensitive to the touch or when I rub something.  I am a mechanical designer so when I get up from my desk I usually have pain along the thumb unless I am holding on to something when I stand up.  The pain fluctuates and sometimes my forearm is tender and sore or I'll just have pain in the middle of my palm, or in the wrsit on the thumb side.  When I walk or run or do activities I get white spoching along the thumb side area of the palm.  My symptoms are worse with anxiety so I stated taking paxil.  I've seen lots of doctors from Neurology for EMG to a Vascular doc where I had a Angiogram.  Now I am seeing a Rheumatory doc where she started me on a Calcium channel bocker because I showed Vasospasms in the Radial Artery.  Nothing seems to help and all my tests are normal.  Yet I feel I'm getting worsse with more constant pain throughout the day. Hopefully someone has a clue for help.
I battled the exact same thing for almost four years before I was referred to a Pain Management Specialist at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. I was diagnosed with a complex pain syndrome and received a Spinal Cord Stimulator. It is unbelievable. I had probably tried about 15 different medications, botox, spinal injections, and was taking a heap of vicodin by the time I received it (none of which actually relieved the pain). But I am now completely medication-free. The device doesn't cure it but it provides unbelievable relief.... something that NO medication could ever do. You should definitely try to seek a Pain Management Clinic that uses this as a treatment. It is also called a Spine Stimulation Device. My insurance covered it as well. Never give up!
Thanks so much for your response. I was wondering if the pain you experienced was off and on.  Also, during the cold months did your symptoms increase?  After reading about and seeing pics of complex pain syndrome, I noticed that the limbs were noticably swollen which I do not experience.  What is your age if you don't mind me asking?