Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
electric shock sentations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

electric shock sentations

I have had a chronic cough for several months. When I cough I get hard pains in back of the neck that sends electric shocks like down both arms. It is very uncomfortable. What would cause that to happen?
Possible causes include nerve entrapment or similar problems in the nerves coming out of the neck (probably at c5 or c6). These nerves connect to the brachial plexus, which forms the radial and ulnar nerves that supply the arms. Coughing can jerk at neck muscles and connective tissue, irritating nerves in the neck, especially if there is a structural or functional problem there.

There are other possible explanations, including peripheral neuropathy. You should follow up with your doctor to make sure nothing series is going on, either with the cough itself or the resulting pain.