Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
nerve damage due to a blood draw
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

nerve damage due to a blood draw

my wife recently went to the lab at our local hospital to have a blood test for her calcium level,i was with her and when the phlabotomist inserted the needle in my wifes left arm it litterally took her breath away.When the needle was removed the pain has continued and also numbness and loss of motion has occurred,can this be permanent and what should she do now.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1268057_tn?1399131913
Sounds like a nerve was irritated related to the blood draw.  She needs to have this checked by a physician ASAP.  Only time will tell if she has any permanent damage.  Most of the time the problem resolves over time.  
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
It will resolve. It is pointless to have it "checked" (unless you are of a litigenous nature) because there is absolutely positively nothing that can be done. Having it "checked" involves time and, more importantly money. Travel money, a co-pay. It is not going to be permanent.

It is unfortunate there is pain, but sometimes veins are hard to find.

And some phlebotomists are pretty crummy at what they do.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...