Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
neurology. Can peripheral Neuropathy cause gastric flu?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

I'm 17 and suffer from peripheral Neuropathy which is being investigated.  My doctor has given me fluoxetine and for a while I had all the main side effects which eventually wore off.  Although for the past 3-4 weeks I've been feeling really ill, like flu symptoms.  It started out with sudden diarrhoea which got better after about a week then I started feeling nauseous and then the diarrhoea came back, I also feel very tired, and my body feels like it is falling asleep on me.  Although every other day I feel like this there are some days where I feel absolutely fine, I've not actually been sick yet bit I feel very nauseous all the time but it just won't happen.  Could my peripheral neuropathy have caused stomach flu/gastric flu??
Neuropathy is a collection of disorders that occurs when nerves of the peripheral nervous system (the part of the nervous system outside of the brain and spinal cord) are damaged. The condition is generally referred to as peripheral neuropathy, and it is most commonly due to damage to nerve axons. Neuropathy usually causes pain and numbness in the hands and feet. It can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic disorders, and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes of neuropathy is diabetes.

Neuropathy can affect nerves that control muscle movement (motor nerves) and those that detect sensations such as coldness or pain (sensory nerves). In some cases - autonomic neuropathy - it can affect internal organs, such as the heart, blood vessels, bladder, or intestines.

Pain from peripheral neuropathy is often described as a tingling or burning sensation. There is no specific length of time that the pain exists, but symptoms often improve with time - especially if the neuropathy has an underlying condition that can be cured. The condition is often associated with poor nutrition, a number of diseases, and pressure or trauma, but many cases have no known reason (called idiopathic neuropathy).

In the United States, about 20 million people suffer from neuropathy. Over half of diabetes patients also suffer from the condition.
Please get checked for lyme disease. I don't know a lot, but I do know my brother in law suffered for about four months with the same sort of symptons. Turned out he had Lyme disease.