peripheral neuropathy and statins
I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy (no diabetes), high cholesterol (245), low blood pressure, do not smoke, exercise regularly, and virtually no calcium in heart. i am male and 62 years old. My doctor wants to put me on a statin. Should I take a statin?
I can't comment on the statin question.  There are natural things you can try when you're diet and exercise don't resolve the cholesterol issue.  You can take a fish oil supplement.  It matters which brand, because some have better testing standards than others.  Carlson's and Nordic Naturals are two highly recommended brands that experts taut all the time.  Dr. Mercola (mercola.com) recommends krill oil and says it's better than fish oil.  If you're allergic to crustaceans, though, don't use krill oil.  These are good to take whether or not you have a cholesterol issue.

Red yeast rice is a natural statin.  Dr. Mercola recommends against it, but other natural doctors recommend it.  I'm sensitive to medications, but I haven't noticed any ill effects from the red yeast rice.  You can buy it inexpensively at swansonvitamins.com.  You may have to take it between three to six months before testing your cholesterol again.

My total cholesterol has come down considerably, so I haven't had to worry about prescription statins as of yet.  I think my diet is better overall, and I know my trigycerides are down.  
Oh, by the way, I nearly forgot about some natural things you can try for the idiopathic peripheral neuropathy.  That's the kind I have.

A lady told me about using Alpha Lipoic Acid, which you can also buy at the Swanson's site.  Nature's Way has a product called Leg Veins, which the lady also uses.  It has ingredients I'm allergic to myself or I would use it.  Anyway, the Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant.  My doctor is fine with my using it.

There is one more supplement the lady suggested, but I would check with your doctor before using this one.  That's the kind of information I read online, anyway--that people should check with their doctors before using this supplement:  Acetyl L Carnitine.  It can also be bought at the Swanson's site.  I haven't tried it yet myself.  Anyway, this one is a little on the expensive side.  The lady who told me about it says she uses it as a last resort, when the other two things just don't seem to be enough on their own.

So far, I've had really good results with just the Alpha Lipoic Acid.