Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
peripheral neuropathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

peripheral neuropathy

do you all think that peripheral neropathy sufferers are not treated seriously by so called health pro's.? i do, and i would like to hear your story.
Hi!
I am sure you have valid reasons to feel so. The reason peripheral neuropathies are often less discussed and treated vaguely is that they cover a wide range of diseases and often despite nerve conduction studies and other tests, diagnosis becomes difficult. The range of diseases causing peripheral neuropathy like symptoms could be a central disease like multiple sclerosis, or heavy metal poisoning, or diseases like hypothyroidism, diabetes, liver and kidney disorders, Lyme's, lupus, or deficiencies like B12, folic acid—and many more. Pinched nerves in spinal regions cause similar symptoms. Hence one needs a wide battery of tests for a confirmed diagnosis. Also several times, despite a cause, treatment becomes difficult due to poor re-generative capacity of the nerves. Many hospitals do have neurologists trained in this field. Both the doctor and the patient needs tremendous patience to reach a point where the symptoms become tolerable.
Take care!
Hi ur question is quite interesting. I am thirty years old. In nov 2011 i had a stroke and ive also got hypothyroidism and ibs. Since my strokr ive had severe pain in both legs and numbness. They thrpb all the time and i have electric shock type pain in the palms of my hands and elbows. Also in both sides of my neck which is not so frequent. But my legs hurt constantly and i can hardly walk even from my living room to my kitchen. I cant stand for long either as it hurts sp bad. My legs feel numb most of time now and it only hurts below my knees and my feet are cold also. Docs cant find a reason why. Do u think it could be neropathy. Oh yes mu thyriod has been low for afes before the stroke and i lost two stone in weight.  Thanks for any info i can give me. Lis x
hi lis, thanks for your reply, first, you have my deepest sympathy you  be in a lot of pain,yes it souds like you have peripheral neuropathy, i also have this condition in my feet and also legs at times, it is a constant deep tburning pain that causes anxiety and depression at times,, ok, ways to combat this, my medication consists of a drug by the name of lyrica 225mg daily, this makes the pain bearable, other things i use are thing like light exercise, but the main thing is to try and keep a positive outlook lis,i know its easy to give up and fall into depression, but i aviod this state of mind like the plague, i dont know if you are religious lis, but prayer is a great comfort for me, you are not alone lis, i wish you all the very best, and feel free to ask me anything about other ways i use to fight this awfull condition, brian.
hi doctornee, thanks for your input, i found it very interesting and professional, brian.