Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
restless legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

restless legs

I have restless legs syndrome (was confirmed on sleep study) now when I lay down my legs also start to go numb and are painful? Lower back  pain also. needless to say I am concerned and tired. Any ideas???
Hi!
There is a chance that along with restless leg syndrome, you have compression of the spinal nerves in the lumbo-sacral spine region. This can happen due to overuse of the lower back as in work requiring too much of bending, lifting weight, fall on the back, overweight, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. Poor posture while sleeping, sitting on computers or jobs for a long time, uneven bed, exposure of back to cold air while sleeping can cause a discomfort for a few days.  Take a multivitamin, plenty of fluids, and an OTC analgesic. Apply a local analgesic and apply a heating pad and see if it helps. If this does not help, consult a neurologist. A MRI of the spine and nerve conduction studies may also be needed. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, lumbar belts, lumbar corsets or even surgery.
Usually cause of RLS is not known but few medications such as lithium, antidepressants and beta-blockers (such as bisoprolol) can trigger the symptoms. Other reasons of RLS could be rheumatoid arthritis, kidney failure, diabetes or any underlying heart disorder. In addition restless syndrome has been found to be associated with stress, fatigue, magnesium deficiency, vitamin B-12 deficiency, anemia and other systemic diseases. Hence, you need to find out if any of these conditions are responsible for your symptoms or not.
Though there is no permanent cure of RLS, regular & sound sleep helps get relief from symptoms. Supplements of iron/vitamin also help some. Sometimes medications such as levodopa, bromocriptine, oxycodone may be tried to provide some relief from the symptoms. Avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine may partly relieve your symptoms. Other useful measures are stretching, alternate hot and cold packs or baths, massage and applying vibrators on the feet and legs or on arms and hands before bedtime. Relaxation and meditation can also help.
Please discuss this with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Thank you so much for your advice and giving me your time.

Hug ! Pink6464
after years,i swear childhood,have had leg pain,aftr major back surg & neck disc surg from car wreck and crushed skull,severe loss of brain function,,it made it unbearable,the plus,i couldeen remember how bad last nite was least i wrote it down..10years now,cant spell,but avid writer list maker,lol
my doc for 2 years solid,blood,eeg,ekg name it,many anti depr.lyrica,gabapention.drug after drug,massage, name it.
she found me dangerously low on b-12 d  and folic acid,before u go buy folic,if u get it scripted,your able to get how do i say,more of it,than over the count.only that was i scripted,
she sent me to neurolagist,he scripted me neupro.FANTASTIC! but not a pain relief drug,off i went to pain clinic,i was taken off neupro an put on fentanyl.i have no pain but rls was back,my doc says i cant have both,the fent oughta be strong enough.realise lyrica was the strongest drug i had been given before pain clinic..wonderful drug,cept i needed 4 300mg to work.OVERFORMULATED story of my life..i coulden afford extra,
i did notice after a few months the folic,d an b-12/;ie self shots,3tm a mnth. slightly helped cramps.its 2 late but was never tried on cymbalta..dang its 5am ,today was fent refill day,i lost a patch,wrkin in yard,2.5acres,an dog ripped other off in tub.i went for 7 days without,took it at 6;30pm i finally feel like i might sleep.ps; you are not alone,you have a great day ok?
an if ya ever need a mmineature goat, er horse hit me up..lol.  Le'roy