Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Bad breath and burping

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Bad breath and burping

We just this dog yesterday and she is in the process of realizing this is her new home. She was neglected at her previous home and not fed on a normal everyday basis. She does seem quite happy here and although she doesn't always come when called, for the most part she is doing well.

She has really bad breath and burps a lot after running around outside. She is a bit overweight but seems to have good energy. I have checked her mouth and there appears to be no rotting teeth and her gums look healthy. Money is tight and wondered if this is cause for concern. I know that she was fed cheap kibble but not certain if she was given anything else.

Thank you
Moki
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
6 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chucolate Lab
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 24, 2010
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thank you for rescuing this dog.  Very needed in our society.  

First, I would put her on the best quality diet your veterinarian recommends.  this can solve the problem if the inexpensive diet is not being properly digested (a common problem).  Exercise before eating and try to keep her calm for 1 hour after eating.  Have the mouth examined well at her next vet visit.  

I have 3 rescued dogs and they all seem to "Paw".  Much of this we believe is the strong need for interaction after being neglected for so long.  You can alter this a little by 1) not shaking paws or rewarding that in any way. and 2) change the behavior to something else, like a sit / stay or down or still, then praise that behavior with treats and verbal.  be consistent in this "re-training" and over time it will improve.  
Sorry just realized this is a behavioral forum, but if you have an answer would still appreciate it. I don't know if she has been to a vet at all or not.

She does have this issue of constantly pawing, even when petting her. I can't seem to get her to stop. It's not so much she wants to shake paws as she seems to want to cling to me.
Thank you so much for your response. I've been doing already what you said with the paw thing so I'm glad to know that I was right in doing that. We'll get her to the vet and get her checked.

Thanks again
Moki
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Get her switched to a high quality food.  Best to get your veterinarians recommendation.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Let us all know how she does!!
Belle is doing a lot better and her pawing is slowing down although she is still at it somewhat. She no longer cowers when reaching over her for something and her breath is much better since the better dog food and denta bones.

The issue I'm having now is that for the most part she will come when called but once in a while she gets this look that says I'm going to do what I want. We live on a farm and need her to come when called as come spring a lot of farm machinery will be coming in and out and she needs to come when called.

She definitely hears me call come but takes off anyways and almost pretends like she didn't hear me.

I've tried going to get her when she takes off and then scolding her saying no and walk her back to the house and then making her lay down for a while and she will be good for a week or so and then we're right back at it. I need to break her of this but just not sure what else I should be doing. Any advise?

Moki