Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Chewing hair
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chewing hair

I've had my little Chihuahua girl Melody for a few weeks now. Going on to a month. Shes going to be 3 months soon. About a week after arriving, she began to develop this nerve wrecking problem. She loves the attention, she loves to play but then while playing near or on top of you, she goes for the head on which ever family member is playing with her and begins to chew their hair off.

We redirect her to stop and give her the chew toys but once again she'll go for the hair if she gets a chance. We are all teaching her to stop. I know shes young and I'm hoping this is just puppy play but I'm worry she might get sick. At night, she's placed in her sleeping basket on top of a mini table thats near our beds. We started to noticed that at night she would jump into our beds and lay next to our heads and begin chewing off hair. So we started to move the table away from the beds so she cant jump anymore.

The 2nd problem; after eating the hair, whenever she goes poop she starts off by rubbing her booty against the floor as if shes having trouble pooping but shes not, its because there's a hair stuck in there! She poops with hair in it holding the pieces of poop together with the hair strands (Sorry, TMI) no diarrhea or blood....yet. I dont want to have to take her in for surgery if this causes a problem. Shes going to the Vet soon for her shots and deworming as well as spaying her a few months after that.

How can I teach her to stop eating hair, as well as biting paper towels and blankets??

LTM
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
2 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 01, 2009
City
:  
El monte
State/Province
:  
CA
Blood Test Results
:  
n/a
X-Ray Results