Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Depression

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Depression
I have an excellent hunting dog. Six months ago she gave a birth to 8 pubbies and for a reason they all die. After that my dog is not active anymore. I am taking her on the field and she just stays by my side and does not do anytging. Please, somebody help me!
I suppose some sort of depression (physical or emotional) could be the cause.  But as a veterinarian I would also want to rule out any sort of post partum infection after a little of dead puppies.  Such an intrauterine infection can become chronic and cause any number of secondary problems.  

Have your veterinarian examine her reproductive track for infection and perhaps even do a culture of any discharge to see if there is a lingering problem.  

If it is a psychological depression, then I would think some gentle encouraging of her working in the field and upbeat playing at home would be your best bet.