Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Strange Cat Behavior

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Strange Cat Behavior

(2 year old, Indoor, In Tact, Eats regularly, everything normal besides his recent behavior.) Our male cat has been having episodes of loud meowing throughout the day.  That seems normal, except for sometimes when he is just laying on the bed he gets a different kind of meow.  He always sleeps next to me, & sometimes recently when he's just sitting/laying by me awake, he makes a scared type of meow with every movement I make. He also paws at my face and sort of licks my arm & softly bites it a little bit at the same time. He used to only do it right when we were laying down for bed, now he does it during the day sometimes too.  We also have a toy poodle 2yrs, & when he comes in the room he does the different meow to him.  They have always gotten along, & they play all the time.  But just once or twice a day he will have this epsisode of being sort of scared like. We just talk to him & try to calm him down, then he just goes back to normal.  The episode usually last from 5-9 minutes.  Is it possible that he may be in heat that is causing this? The poodle does sniff the cats butt sometimes & I think that makes him mad, we are trying to get him to stop that.  Our cat hasn't been neutered yet, but we have been considering. Is it ok that he is 2 years old to get neutered?  We don't want him to go through the pain of getting neutered, but the vet said its better for them in the long run. When he shakes his back end to spray, nothing ever comes out.  We were wondering if this means anything?  We found him when he was around a month & a half old.  When we found him we noticed that someone/something had cut part of his whiskers off on one side, not alot, but enough to notice a difference.  We don't know if he was abused or something by previous owners.  But him being a male cat and not spraying while still in tact is a sign of something serious?  Thanks again!  
Thank you for your help.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
2
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
N/A
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 03, 2009
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your cat's meowing sounds perfectly normal to me.  Males especially have a whole "song pattern" or range of talking.  Nothing you describe sounds abnormal.

NEUTER this cat, play with him regularly every day and you guys should be fine.