Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Twitching/Shaking/Spasms

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Twitching/Shaking/Spasms
My dog is two years old and has recently had problems with twitching/shaking/spasms. It seems to happen when he lays down to relax, but continues after he is awake and coherent. We thought it may have been muscle spasms from exercising, hiccups from food, or possibly seizsures; but now seems to be lasting anywhere from 10-45 minutes and keeping him awake. Is there any medication we can give him to make him more comfortable? When I give him half a benedral it seems to help him fall asleep...however, the spasms seems to be coming back (third time in approximately 30 days). Please advise.
this does not sound like normal running during sleep (dreaming).  Perhaps epilepsy or another neurological condition for this symptom to continue After waking.  I would try to get some video of this symptom, then take that to a veterinarian.  There are veterinary specialists in neurology in Denver at VRCC off Hampton near Santa Fe.  Google VRCC Denver.  

They will want to do a neuro work up and it would be very helpful to see the video.  Benedryl is not the answer.  Please see a good veterinarian for a Diagnostic work up and treatment.