Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Urinating in Bathroom Sink

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Urinating in Bathroom Sink

I recently noticed my cat peeing in the bathroom sink. She has always been fascinated with the bathroom and is the first one in if the door opens. She will drink from the faucet and play with the trickling water. I thought it was cute and didn't see any harm in letting her drink from the faucet. I usually let her get a drink then turn it off and walk away...well, last night I watched her because she jumped in the sink and started scratching at the bowl then she squatted and urinated right down the drain. SInce then I have been leaving the bathroom doors shut, but given the chance she is on the sink peeing down the drain. She has been very good about using her litter box with no mistakes anywhere else thankfully. Is this something that needs corrected? She is an only cat, and still uses her litter box to pee, but why in my sink too?
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
4 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 03, 2009
City
:  
Miamisburg
State/Province
:  
OH
80% of urinating outside the litter box is a medical problem. This includes urinating in the sink.  Often pain is associated with the litterbox and the pet decides to go elsewhere.  The sink is shaped like a box and is a comforting place for your kitty so she has selected to go there if not elsewhere.  In some cases urinating in the sink or on the floor is seen as a call for help.  Please make an appt to have your cat seen and the urine evaluated (within 15 minutes of collection for increased accuracy).  It is often necessary to have your veterinarian obtain the  urine sample, as getting it at home is often difficult and can decrease the accuracy of the analysis.  Many times a solution can be found for your kitty.  It's great that she likes to drink from the faucet - it will help her in many ways medically both now and in the future.  The longer a problem goes on, the longer it takes to resolve.  Some medical problems become behavioral problems, so see your veterinarian soon.  She seems like such a sweetheart by your description!