Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
Very strange behavior

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Very strange behavior

My dog Satana has been acting very strange lately. She is my CONSTANT shadow, never leaves my side unless she is forced too. She is extremely overprotective of me, to the point that she growls and bares her teeth at anyone that comes near me. Afew days ago she was laying on the floor next to me sleeping when she suddenly jumped up all fur on end barking, growling, and bareing her teeth for about 5 minutes, and no one was there, we were home alone. After that she paced around the house still growling, and now she is even more overprotective of me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and ideas you may have on WHY she is acting like this lately.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3 yrs old Christmas 2009
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepherd
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 15, 2009
City
:  
Lansing
State/Province
:  
Blood Test Results
:  
all tests that were run came back negative for any problems
X-Ray Results
:  
none taken
Other pertinent test results
:  
acid reflux problems
skin allergies
arthritis
Any time a pet's behavior suddenly changes a trip to the veterinarian is in order.  Any number of medical conditions that increase irritability or cause physical discomfort could be contributing to this behavior change. So that's a no -brainer, must do - take her to your veterinarian.

In addition, sometimes people perceive behavior as suddenly changing when in fact it's been changing in small increments for quite sometime but because you see your dog everyday, you don't recognize the small changes until they become big ones.  That happens in  a variety of situations - e.g. we don't think we look any older until someone who hasn't seen us for several years points out that we do!

I'm not convinced your dog is protecting you.  You may be her "security blanket" so she is sticking close to you but my guess is that she's more concerned about someone not coming near HER or what she perceives to be her territority.

You need professional help with this before this behavior escalates to biting.  DO NOT work with ANYONE who labels this  a "dominance" problem and advises you to get confrontational with your dog.  Seek out a certified applied or veterinary behaviorist.
www.CertifiedAnimalBehaviorist.com or www.davcb.org.  or avsabonline.org.  Or perhaps your veterinarian can recommend someone to help you.  A certified trainer at www.ccpdt.org is also a possibility.