Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
dog is withdrawing from normal activity

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

dog is withdrawing from normal activity
My otherwise very active and very social rat terrier has suddenly become very withdrawn and just wants to hide. He is healthy and seems to be having normal functions but I got home last night and he was weird. He normally sits on the sofa and looks out of the windows or on one of our laps but he wants nothing to do with our sofa or living room and only wants to hide in our bedroom. He sits outside of our bedroom door and cries and shakes until we let him in to lay on our bed. We left for work in the morning and came back to find him with his tail tucked between his legs cowering next to us staring at our roof. He seems very frantic and nervous and scared and I feel really bad for him and other than letting him hide in a room, I dont know what to do to help him. It seems like some thing happened that freaked him out while we were at work during the day and since we obviously dont "speak dog" we are having a hard time trying to figure out a way to help him. Do you have any ideas? I am very concerned
No telling what has happened, but sounds like he needs confidence building exercises and then move into obedience which further builds confidence and enhances the human animal relationship.  Find a good gentle trainer in your area or ask your veterinarian for a recommendation.