Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
problem child

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

problem child
I have a rescued "pit bull bait dog". We received her when she was ~ 10 wks old. Starving, scarred, fighting over food.  She is dog agressive, often bullying other's away from their food dish, behaviors like that. With us she is just a big old love hound. She no longer piddles when petted, but she is afraid of everything, and everyone, (but us of course.) She has been throught dog training and excelled at that. But we were told by the trainer that she needs behavior therapy. I cannot find a behavior trainer anywhere locally. She is with us for good as she is un-adoptable as she is. Is there anything I can do to ease her anxiety. She takes Reconcile daily but it has little effect except to stop her constant yawning with a whine, and whinning at us when we are not paying attention to her. We have also tried holistic meds on her for her anxiety. How can I help this dog.
First, let me say thanks to you for opening up your home and your heart to this poor dog.  

Next, one of our DVMs or behaviorists will be here shortly to answer you concerns.

As far as finding a behaviorist, it does appear that you are in an area reasonably far removed from a boarded veterinary behaviorist.  I would recommend three options...first, contact your veterinarian and see what resources he or she has.  Next, contact Auburn University and see if the behaviorists there can do phone consultations. Finally, check at avsabonline.org and see if you can find a behaviorist there who may be closer to you.