Pet Behavior Problems Expert Forum
younger cat attacks older cat
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Behavior Problems & Therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

younger cat attacks older cat

I recently rescued a pregnant, stray cat  I had her spayed right away, at which time the vet estimated her to be 1-3 years old.  I already had a beautiful but old Siamese cat, who, at 17 years old, is very set in her ways.  Although I have only owned the Siamese for 6 years, she is accustomed to being an only cat.  Prior to living with me, she had many different homes, at least one of which was with another cat.  Knowing that I could run into trouble with two cats in the household, I introduced them to one another slowly...though probably not at slowly as I should have.  Initially the younger cat would hiss and attack the older cat.  Now, although she no longer hisses, she will periodically attack the older cat for no apparent reason.  I'll notice that the younger cat is giving the other "the eyeball treatment" and, as fast as lightning, she's sprung into action and is attacking the older cat.  Her attacks take the form of swatting with her paws; I've not seen any biting.  I've taken to separating them while I'm at work during the day and even occasionally during the night to avoid any nighttime attacks.  What can I do to keep the younger cat from attacking the older cat?  I love them both and don't want to lose the younger cat, but I cannot allow my older cat to live in fear.  Help!
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Siamese
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 01, 2009