Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
BlackHeads on back

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

BlackHeads on back

Our dog Ally was seen at the beginning of the month to determine why one ear seems to be giving her problems. History shows one case of an ear infection several years ago. Dr determined that she had some type of allergy and prescribed Gentamicin Otic Solution.  What I was unaware of at the time of the visit was that she also has some pimples on her back going up her spine. I didn't mention this because I didn't know. My husband knew but didn't tell me. I discovered it last week. I've been meaning to get her back in but last night my husband was watching a dog show on tv and it was talking about the schnauzer breed and that they are prone to blackheads up and down the spine. If this is true, what can be done for it. Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
Schnauzer Terrior Mix
Age of Animal
:  
7 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Mixed 21 pounds Black with some grey  Looks like a terrior but when groomed face resembles schnauzer
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 01, 2009
City
:  
Demotte
State/Province
:  
indiana
Please see your veterinarian at least to re-evaluate the ear's progress with medications, then ask about the skin.  The skin can only respond in a few ways -- some with allergies get skin problems that need treatment.  Yes Schnauzers get "comedome syndrome" but we need to determine if your schnauzer has that or something related to allergies.  Not much can be done for comedome syndrome.

Sometimes baths are indicated to remove the keratin debris, but try use soap free shampoos with additional fatty acids in the shampoo to help hydrate the skin.  ie over the counter shampoos, may exacerbate an issue.

Depending on the exact problem seen by your veterinarian, certain therapies will be helpful and others may not help.