Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
Dry patch

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

Dry patch

The last time I took my dog to get groomed he came home with a bald spot on his hind leg. I just thought it was because he was so matted they had to shave him down to the skin. Its about the size area of a quarter, There was a little dry spot. in the same area. well the dry spot has gotten bigger. Its has turned a real light gray & a little rough. The hair never grew back there. What could have happened/ This wasnt there before we took him to the groomers.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
8 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
miniture poodle
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 26, 2009
A localized area of hairloss and scaling is most commonly due to infection (bacterial, demodex mites, ringworm/fungal skin infection). Your veterinarian can perform skin scrapings and fungal culture to identify these infectious skin diseases. It is possible that mild skin abrasion due to clipping induced an infection, or that the hairloss was already there before grooming but not evident until the surrounding hair was clipped. Lastly, in silky coated small dogs such as poodles, another potential reason for localized hairloss on the thigh would be a rabies vaccine reaction; this is diagnosed by skin biopsy. I recommend taking your puppy to your veterinarian to have the lesion examined to identify the cause, and appropriate treatment.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Dermatology Clinic for Animals of Las Vegas
www.dermvetvegas.com