Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
Fly allergiy
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fly allergiy

My Mustang is getting eaten-up by flys and now fungas on his face and chest. I'm using fly spray, SWAT, washing his skin with Benzidine, citrus shampoo.... don't know what else to do?
Type of Animal
:  
horse
Age of Animal
:  
31/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Mustang
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 14, 2009
City
:  
riverside
State/Province
:  
ca
Related Discussions
931674_tn?1283485296
Since there are many types of flies that can bite horses, I can only give you general recommendations: continue frequent (per label directions) application of repellants such as SWAT, make sure to frequently remove any moist bedding, manure, and heaps of plant material that flies can lay eggs in, stable him during the day if possible with a strong fan near the stall to push out the more weak flying insects, use a face fly mask, and call the vet out to make sure that he does not have some other cause for dermatitis on the face and chest (which may or may not be a fungus, it could be a bacterial infection, or a contact reaction to the fly sprays or benzidine/shampoos). Additionally, if the horse is very itchy, the vet may recommend a steroid injection for short term relief.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Dermatology
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank