Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
Itchy tip of tail

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

Itchy tip of tail
My dog keeps biting the tip of his tail as if it were very itchy. A friend told me that this is symptomatic of worms/intestinal parasites. Is this possible ? If not, what else could it be ?
Intestinal parasites can certainly cause itching around the rear and under the tail, and taking a stool sample to your veterinarian to screen for parasites is a good idea. Other potential causes of tail chewing include fleas, food allergy, and pollen/dust allergies, as well as impacted anal glands. If your dog only chews at the very tip of the tail and no where else on the tail/under the tail or on the body, then I would also be concerned about tail dock neuroma, which is a nerve abnormality seen in some dogs that have had their tails docked/amputated (which is performed on fox terrier puppies).
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Dermatology Clinic for Animals of Las Vegas
www.dermvetvegas.com