Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
Lump found on my 5 year old neutered dog

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

I have a 5 year old Shepard mix. He was neutered when he was about 11 weeks old. Last night, I was rubbing his belly and noticed a hard lump right below his penis. It was hard to the touch and looked distended. After a few minutes of me examining it, it went softer and it was no longer distended. I could still feel a little "lump" inside if I rub my hand over it and it felt like it would be his testicles if he had them.

I am very concerned and will be taking him to a vet if this is an issue.

Should I be concerned, is this normal?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Shepard Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 10, 2009
Good morning Amy...first, let me say thanks for being proactive and neutering your pet!  

Was the "lump" on either side of the shaft of the penis?  If so, what you are describing is known as the bulbis glandis and it actually helps "tie" the male dog to the female dog during mating.

Many owners have called back after their dogs castration to tell us that we forgot to remove the testicles!!!

In all likelihood, this is normal and nothing to worry about.   Obviously, if the lump is not where I described it, have your veterinarian check your little guy out.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for replying. The lump I found was directly below the base of his penis.
Good morning,

I agree with Tom.  This sounds like it will turn out to be normal but please have your veterinarian check it out to be sure.
Thank you. Does this change the severity since it is located directly below rather than either side? I have an appointment with my vet at 6 p.m. I'm just trying to brace myself for the diagnosis.......
I think the best thing to do is go to the appointment and have it looked at.  It is very easy to think the worst and get worked up about the chance of it being bad versus good.  This question will be easier to answer once the lump is examined.  Feel free to repost after the visit with what your veterinarian is suspecting.