Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
What can I do to help him?

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

What can I do to help him?

I know my dog is allergic to human food. I believe that was what my mother told me. It has been a while since he was seen for this condition. My family keeps feeding him human food even though they know he allergic to it. I do what i can for the scratching he does. It creates scabs and dry skin. I  try med. kind of lotion for the dry skin and disinfected spry so the scabs won't get an infection. No matter what I tell them they won't stop. Is there anything else I can do to help my dog not scratch so much.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
11
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
shelty
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 07, 2010
The scabs and dry skin that you describe are likely manifestations of a bacterial skin infection, but there is no doubt that an underlying cause for the infection and itch is present. The most common underlying diseases for skin infection and itch in an older Sheltie are hormonal diseases (such as a low thyroid) or food allergy. I recommend taking your dog to your veterinarian for evaluation and treatment of the probable skin infection with 3-4 weeks of antibiotics, and senior labwork with thyroid panel. If all the labwork is normal, then food allergy is likely, and the only treatment is a hypoallergenic diet with no other foods or treats. You can try to get your family to compromise and give him acceptable treats such as green beans and carrots, but if they insist on giving him other foods, then he will never be comfortable, and they have only themselves to blame for making their dog suffer.
Good luck,