Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
bumps on my dogs skin

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

bumps on my dogs skin
My miniature Schnauzer has started developing little pea sized lumps just under the skin surface about 8 months ago, he only has about 5 or so.  Is this common for MS, cause my moms older MS has the same ones.  Should I get one biopsied?
Bumps under the skin can be due to tumors, granulomas, cysts, or localized infections. Older terriers are prone to benign skin tumors called sebaceous adenomas, which are warty-appearing skin masses that are on the surface of the skin. Benign cysts or tumors of the hair follicles such as epidermal inclusion cysts can sometimes cause multiple masses under the skin, but again usually occur in older dogs.  Schnauzers in particular, are prone to Schnauzer comedo syndrome, in which the hair follicles on the midline of the back become distended with skin cells and oils, and then can sometimes become secondarily infected, causing crusts, hairloss and itch. These would potentially look like bumps under the skin surface, but are usually much smaller than a pea. I recommend taking your dog to your veterinarinarian to have the masses examined and aspirated with a needle and/or biopsied; the cells obtained can be analyzed to determine what the masses are and the appropriate treatment.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
www.dermvetvegas.com