Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
cheyletiella

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

cheyletiella

I recently bought a puppy. After 4 days of ownership I took him for his routine vaccinations etc at the vets. I queried his flaky skin, tests were done and he was diagnosed with Cheyletiella (walking dandruff). I treated him with Frontline spot on as recommended by the vet and also treated my other dog as a precaution. I hoover at least twice a day, change and wash both the dogs bedding daily, wash floors, comb the diagnosed dog daily, all as recommended. This is now over 7 days ago since diagnosis and I have erupted with small red itchy spots. Some in small 'groups' some in a curved line mainly on my stomach area, especially around my trouser waistline. Odd spots have also erupted on my arms legs feet and back. They are SO itchy I cannot begin to describe to you how I feel. What can I do? I was hoping I had got this problem under control!! The puppy now seems fine but Im still getting bites!! The whole house has also been sprayed with a flea/mite repellent. Can this be the Cheyletiella or am I barking up the wrong tree?? Also if they are bites why am only I getting bitten when there are 6 people live in my house and its only me experiencing these problems!! Please help and advise me with anything else I can do and any relief I can give myself if any!!!! Im desperate!!
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
10 weeks
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
pug
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 06, 2009
Hi Louise,

Congratulations on your new puppy and thank you for taking such good care of him!

I am sorry you are so itchy!  I hope you are also posting to the MD side to get advice on antihistimines and creams to use.

The pattern of itchiness you report isn't typical for chyletiella in people.  Usually in people it causes itchiness in exposed areas that come into contact with the affected pet - arms for example.  Why you are itchy and the other people in the house aren't means one of two things - either they haven't been exposed, or they aren't as sensitive to the exposure as you are.

The parasite that can cause itchiness around the belt line is scabies. Also, scabies only "likes" about 20 to 30 % of the people it meets, so maybe you are the only one in your house sweet enough for a scabies mite! But scabies doesn't usually go away with just Frontline treatment & it would make your new puppy awfully itchy too.  So, not really sure, but definitely seek some help to get relief from the itching!  The good news for you is that scabies tends to go away on its own in people, but you could get infected repeatedly if one of your dogs is harboring the scabies mite.

The best thing to do is to get yourself to the doctor and your two dogs back to the vet!  Good luck.
Small itchy red bites around the belt lines are classic for cheyletiella. This parasite is not species specific and can infect dogs, cats, humans, rabbits, etc. As Dr. Smith recommends, you need to contact your physician about treatment options in humans; as in dogs, some people are more sensitive to the bites. I would also recommend that all mammals in the household be treated with a more reliable insecticide for cheyletiella, such as Revolution, ivermectin, or Frontline spray, as I have had less success with Frontline Spot on. I usually will treat every 2 weeks for 4 treatments, as well as continue environmental control.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner DVM DACVD
www.dermvet.com
I see my doctor who gave me Lyclear cream to use in case of Scabies. But he was uncertain as to whether it was this or the Cheyletiella mite bite!!! So I am now treating it as Scabies as doing all precautionary things like wash my bedding etc along with the mountains of cleaning I'm doing for the dogs!!! Took the puppy back to the vets, they are happy that although he still has cheyletiella its now only a very small amount. I seem to be winning the battle!! I was advised by the vets to bathe him every two days until thursday when he will be checked again. If this problem still persists frontline spray will  be given. I am not happy due to the fact when you buy a pedigree puppy from a so called reputable breeder I do not expect him to be sold on in the condition I got him. The least the breeder could have done was warn me of a 'possible' problem!!!!! Especially when I phoned the breeder after the pup being diagnosed to be told 'they have had this problem for several months'!!!!!  Im totally in love with my little puppy and would got to the earths edges to care for him in the way he should be, if only everyone was the same!! Many thanks for the help and advise.