Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
erupting sores very sick kitty

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

erupting sores very sick kitty

I am a vet tech and this is about a clients cat that passed away i was wondering if we could have done anything else or what you thought was going on.  This cat had little sores popping up on her all over and the vet said it was abscesses from cat bites but they didn't look like any abscesses that i've ever seen.  she was very skinny, anemic, all felv/fiv tests came back negative.  We had her on ringers/w/ 5 % dextrose, cefazolin, metronidazole, and vitamins w/iron.  Her temp dropped below thermometer reading twice and i got it back up to 99.4.  She smelled terrible and when she passed she started bleeding from her rectum.  The sores concerned me and they didn't know what would have been causing them.  Also, she started jerking or over reacting when you would reach in her cage i figured that was caused from her temperature dropping so low so maybe something neurological was starting.  I just don't feel like i understand what was going on with this kitty and i feel like maybe if she would have gone to a bigger clinic she may have been able to be saved.  She made it 5 days w/the suportive care i did.  would there have been any other tests that we should have done?  Have you heard of any kind of disease or virus that would cause the skin to be breaking open?    
Type of Animal
:  
feline
Age of Animal
:  
5 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
domestic short hair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 22, 2009
City
:  
bedford
State/Province
:  
in
Blood Test Results
:  
blood tests showed that her t4 level was 0.4 and her blood glucose was 219 Fiv/felv negative
That is a very sad case; with erupting sores unresponsive to antibiotics, I would be concerned with an unusual type of deep skin infection such as Actinomycosis, Nocardia, Mycobacteria, or fungal infection (including Cryptococcus, Histoplasma and Blastomyocosis). Sporotrichosis is a type of fungal infection that can spead internally and cause severe illness, Mycobacterium tuberculosis or M. avium can also cause severe systemic illness as well as draining skin ulcers and nodules;  these diseases are also infectious to humans, so it would be prudent for your veterinarian to send the cat or samples of the cat in for analysis to make sure there is no risk to people. Ideally prior to death, biopsies of the skin lesions for pathology and cultures may have been helpful. Other diseases that can cause non-antibiotic responsive skin lesions would include auto-immune disease and metastatic cancer, also diagnosed by biopsy.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Dermatology