Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
hair changing color

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

hair changing color
My beautfiul grey haired cat's furr is changing color- turning a brownish color mostly on her sides and back. It has been happening for a few months.  Her underbelly is still grey and some white and her head is grey.  Im not sure if this is something to be concerned about.  I read online that diet changes or sitting in the sun can sometimes do this- which she does lay in the window and gets sun exposure- however her hair has never changed colors in the past years.  Her dry food did change within last 6 months because one of my cat has crystals so I put them all on the SO dry.  She still gets her normal friskeys wet food though.  I also read that more serious problems can sometimes cause this. What are your thoughts?
Haircoat color changes in cats can be due to aging changes, certain drugs/medications, sun bleaching, intestinal or internal disorders causing altered absorption of nutrients, and nutritional causes such as dietary mineral deficiencies or excesses. I suggest getting baseline labwork peformed by your veterinarian to ensure there is nothing going on internally, and if all labwork is okay, potentially talking to your veterinarian about trying a different brand of prescription food to control crystals, since the coat color change occurred after the food change. You can also have your veterinarian talk to the veterinary nutritional consultants at the SO manufacturer to see if this has ever been reported in the past with the SO diet.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD