Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
infection?

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

infection?
I noticed a foul odor when i picked up my cat i had oozing infecton and a large hole from his side te size of a dime almost. there is a hard lump under the skin around the hole. I noticed on his other side upper neck another large mass hard area with another small hole. He stinks severely. He doesnt move alot but when petted still purrs. I have an appt wed. I am very concerned. He stays indoors but got out 4 days ago. What do you think this could be? Is it most likely from a fight or i it warbles and can he die
The most likely problem is a cat bite abcess, which is a severe bacterial infection under the skin that eventually ruptures and drains. Your cat probably got into a catfight 4 days ago, and sustained puncture wounds that became infected. I do not recommend waiting until Wednesday, as he will need antibiotics and treatment of the abcesses to remove all the pus. With treatment, the prognosis is very good. Please call your veterinarian and get him in today--the earlier that he is treated, the better the prognosis. Additionally, he should be tested now and again in 2-3 months for feline leukemia and feline aids (FIV) which are viral diseases transmitted by fighting.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD