Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
infection?
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

infection?

I noticed a foul odor when i picked up my cat i had oozing infecton and a large hole from his side te size of a dime almost. there is a hard lump under the skin around the hole. I noticed on his other side upper neck another large mass hard area with another small hole. He stinks severely. He doesnt move alot but when petted still purrs. I have an appt wed. I am very concerned. He stays indoors but got out 4 days ago. What do you think this could be? Is it most likely from a fight or i it warbles and can he die
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
3yrs. old
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
orange tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 12, 2009
City
:  
Altoona
State/Province
:  
PA
Related Discussions
  • psoriasis (3 replies):
    The cats in our area suffer from open wounds.Is it conta...[more]
  • Dog fight (2 replies):
    I took my dog (80lb. mix) to my parents house for the ho...[more]
  • cat leukemia? (2 replies):
    my cat of almost 2 years died about 2 months ago. she ha...[more]
931674_tn?1283485296
The most likely problem is a cat bite abcess (abscess), which is a severe bacterial infection under the skin that eventually ruptures and drains. Your cat probably got into a catfight 4 days ago, and sustained puncture wounds that became infected. I do not recommend waiting until Wednesday, as he will need antibiotics and treatment of the abcesses to remove all the pus. With treatment, the prognosis is very good. Please call your veterinarian and get him in today--the earlier that he is treated, the better the prognosis. Additionally, he should be tested now and again in 2-3 months for feline leukemia and feline aids (FIV) which are viral diseases transmitted by fighting.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...