Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
scratching

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

scratching
My toy poodle keeps scratching and licking her breasts and vulval area and now they are red and sore.She has been spade a year ago as she is a rescue dog. She saw a vet 3 weeks ago and had 2 teeth removed.
Itchy skin can be due to a bacterial or yeast skin infection, skin parasites, or skin allergy (to food or environmental allergies such as pollen/dust, and occasionally contact allergies to things like carpet powders). Scratching at the area then makes the skin inflammation worse. Was the itchy rash present when your veterinarian looked at her 3 weeks ago? I recommend taking her back to your veterinarian for recheck exam; they can take samples of the rash to look for infectious organisms and prescribe appropriate therapy. You can also bathe her with a soothing mild oatmeal shampoo and put a little T shirt on her (or elizabethan collar) to reduce scratching and licking/further self trauma until you can get her in to the vet.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Dermatology Clinic for Animals of Las Vegas
www.dermvetvegas.com