Pet Skin Problems Expert Forum
skin problems

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Skin Problems.

skin problems

My dog will not quit scratching. He is leaving bald spots and sores all over him. He doesnt have fleas i have him treated every month with frontline. I normally keep him groomed about every month but i havent been able to take hime because of all the sores on him and i dont want the razor to irritate his skin worse. I ask the groomer what i could do cause you can see his skin flake and she said to put fish oil in his food and give bath only twice a month in oatmeal shampoo ,which i do, and to give him benadryl and i did all of that and nothing has helped. Please tell me something i could do for him i feel so bad for him
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
18months old
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
schnauzer
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 10, 2009
City
:  
jonesborough
State/Province
:  
tn
I recommend taking your dog to your veterinarian for examination and treatment. The most common reasons for itchy skin in dogs include skin infections, microscopic skin parasites such as fleas, scabies or demodex mites, food allergy, or pollen/dust allergies. Dogs with fleas or allergies commonly scratch and traumatize themselves, creating secondary bacterial skin infections/rash and hotspots that make the itch worse. From your description, your dog likely has infected hotspots, which is something that needs veterinary care.  If skin infection is present, it is treated with antibiotics for 3-4 weeks and mild antibacterial shampoos. Although Frontline is a good flea preventative, it would be worth trial treating your dog for scabies with Revolution; this product kills fleas as well as the hard to find microcopic skin mites that can mimic allergies. The itch can be treated symptomatically with mild oatmeal shampoos, fatty acids, antihistamines or a short course of oral steroids prescribed by your veterinarian, but steroids are not a good choice for long term treatment due to their many side effects. If your dog's itch persists or recurs despite antibiotics, parasite control and symptomatic medications, then I would suggest talking to your veterinarian about a prescription hypoallergenic diet. There is no accurate skin or blood test for food allergy; the test and the treatment are the strict hypoallergenic diet trial for 6-8 weeks with no other treats or foods. Lastly, if your dogs' symptoms persist despite all of the above, or if the symptoms only occur during certain seasons, then talk to your veterinarian about referral to a veterinary dermatologist for possible allergy skin testing and desensitization injections for pollen/dust allergies to identify and treat the underlying cause of the itch and recurrent infections, rather than just treating symptoms with medications (veterinary dermatologists can be found in your area by going to www.acvd.org and clicking on the "find a dermatologist" button). Hope that helps!

Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Dermatology
www.dermvetvegas.com