Phobias Community
DO I NEED TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP?

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

DO I NEED TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP?

So less than a year ago I started getting extremely scared of getting an std I know its stupid but I feel like I will get it just by touching things or people or sitting on a public restroom I dont even like touching things others touch. Im not scared of germs but of getting an std I know it sounds cruel amd I dont have anything against people that have one idk why im sooo scared though I wash my hands a lot that they r dry and cracked and if I dont wash them I feel like I cant breathe and anxious there r days when it seems worst than other days. I also clean the restroom almost every time someone else uses it. And if my body touches something that I believe can be contaminated I feel so dirty and filthy and if I dont shower I start to get big time itchy. What should I do? Should I seek medical help? Or am I just stupid?
Yes it would help you out a lot.I ve some of the same phobia about STDs as you.
What did they give u?? R u better now? What do u recommend me doing? What am I suppose to say when I go to the Dr? Sorry for all the questions
I got an STI in college and had a fear of getting them in the future. I would get nervous anytime I was with another girl. The one thing that helped me was to speak with a counselor or psychologist. After awhile the fear kind of went away.

I get tested every time I go to the doctor for a physical now, but I found that talking it out helps a lot. Also discussing your fear with any partner you have may help alleviate any worries.
Please don't feel alone, I share your EXACT phobia. I have spoken to my therapist about it and it has helped. I assume you are probably extremely fearful of blood also (HIV/AIDS, etc). Simply talking with a counselor or writing about your fears, situations or incidences that bother you helps to calm you by letting you hear or re-evaluate how insignificant they sound once you have a chance to take yourself out of living the fear. I don't believe you need medication (but everyone is different) but I would recommend speaking with someone because they can give you unbias, unjudgemental advice on why our fear is unrealistic. Best of luck to you.
If you were to go to an M.D. or a psychiatrist (who is also an M.D.) that they would give you an anti-depressant such as Paxil that also alleviates obsessive thinking. I would recommend getting hold of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual edition IV TR and reading about Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Many people go through a period in their lives when they experience recurring, irrational fears. Most people recover and are able to live happily. But you should definitely talk to a Dr. about this. Cognitive-behavioral therapy may be your best bet. I used to have panic disorder and it worked wonders for me. Good luck. Please post an update to let us know how you are doing.
I understand your feeling..but give it a pause for a while and evaluate the situation at what point of time or by what incident you got into this in your thoughts.My honest opinion is that at any point of time you got engaged in some sort of situation where you had a chance of getting STD and you got panicked and it is now hovering over your head. Read about STD and give yourself an assurance by test that you had no chance of getting STD .
Hi, I have the same problem, though mine is more specifically with herpes and hepatitis c or any irreversible kinds. I tried very hard to keep everything clean to the point where I could no longer function (that's where I'm at now). If you have the money, I highly suggest maybe seeing a therapist. If anything, just talking can really help. I do suggest getting help before you get worse/more paranoid.