Phobias Community
Extreme Phobia of the Darkness
About This Community:

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extreme Phobia of the Darkness

i am 19 years old. i have been terrified of the dark ever since i can remember. there was never anything significant to strike my fears. It is to the point where if i am walking outside alone in the dark, i begin to cry and have a panic attack. i feel like i cant breathe and i have sense someone following me....but no one is ever there. i hyperventilate and shake uncontrollably and my heart feels like it is gonna jump out of my cheast. even in my own home....i know all doors and windows are locked. i know there is no one inside the house. but yet i hate being in a room alone. if i go to get a drink from the kitchen, i run back to my bedroom. my heart race increases, i shake violently, and i have trouble breathing. i sleep with several nightlights on. if even the slightest amount of darkness enters my room, i see strange shadows and hear voices. Lightning and Thunder storms are just as bad...if not worse. once when a storm knocked out our power, i began to shake voilently, and hyperventilate. i began crying and my heart about jumped out of my chest. I want to know if anyone else struggles with a fear like this? if so feel free to contact me. i want to know i am not the only one with an extreme phobia like this. i feel childish sometimes....you never hear of adults afraid of the dark, mostly kids. people look at me strangely when they hear i use a nightlight. people laugh when they see me freaking out in the dark. and i feel stupid.