Phobias Community
Extreme Phobia of the Darkness

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

Extreme Phobia of the Darkness

i am 19 years old. i have been terrified of the dark ever since i can remember. there was never anything significant to strike my fears. It is to the point where if i am walking outside alone in the dark, i begin to cry and have a panic attack. i feel like i cant breathe and i have sense someone following me....but no one is ever there. i hyperventilate and shake uncontrollably and my heart feels like it is gonna jump out of my cheast. even in my own home....i know all doors and windows are locked. i know there is no one inside the house. but yet i hate being in a room alone. if i go to get a drink from the kitchen, i run back to my bedroom. my heart race increases, i shake violently, and i have trouble breathing. i sleep with several nightlights on. if even the slightest amount of darkness enters my room, i see strange shadows and hear voices. Lightning and Thunder storms are just as bad...if not worse. once when a storm knocked out our power, i began to shake voilently, and hyperventilate. i began crying and my heart about jumped out of my chest. I want to know if anyone else struggles with a fear like this? if so feel free to contact me. i want to know i am not the only one with an extreme phobia like this. i feel childish sometimes....you never hear of adults afraid of the dark, mostly kids. people look at me strangely when they hear i use a nightlight. people laugh when they see me freaking out in the dark. and i feel stupid.
i think i may have posted in the wrong forum
I have the same exact problem as you. Even though I am only 14 this problem seems to get worse with age. Just a few minutes ago theres was a really bad lightning and thunder storm and I was all alone. I was shaking uncontrollably, crying, and was very short of breath. The dark is a big problem for me but not as big as the thunderstorms. I put up christmas lights all around my room and that kind of helps me sleep. But I am very sleep deprived because I still know that there is dark all around me so therefor I do not fall asleep till way later in the night when I can no longer keep my eyes open. And I feel like I'm never going to grow out of these fears. So you're not alone.
Please consider using little nightlights.  They are for anyone who needs a bit of light.  It is enough for you to move about, but not so much you cannot sleep.