Aa
A
A
Close
1227784 tn?1293502593
Extreme Phobia of the Darkness
i am 19 years old. i have been terrified of the dark ever since i can remember. there was never anything significant to strike my fears. It is to the point where if i am walking outside alone in the dark, i begin to cry and have a panic attack. i feel like i cant breathe and i have sense someone following me....but no one is ever there. i hyperventilate and shake uncontrollably and my heart feels like it is gonna jump out of my cheast. even in my own home....i know all doors and windows are locked. i know there is no one inside the house. but yet i hate being in a room alone. if i go to get a drink from the kitchen, i run back to my bedroom. my heart race increases, i shake violently, and i have trouble breathing. i sleep with several nightlights on. if even the slightest amount of darkness enters my room, i see strange shadows and hear voices. Lightning and Thunder storms are just as bad...if not worse. once when a storm knocked out our power, i began to shake voilently, and hyperventilate. i began crying and my heart about jumped out of my chest. I want to know if anyone else struggles with a fear like this? if so feel free to contact me. i want to know i am not the only one with an extreme phobia like this. i feel childish sometimes....you never hear of adults afraid of the dark, mostly kids. people look at me strangely when they hear i use a nightlight. people laugh when they see me freaking out in the dark. and i feel stupid.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1227784 tn?1293502593
i think i may have posted in the wrong forum
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I have the same exact problem as you. Even though I am only 14 this problem seems to get worse with age. Just a few minutes ago theres was a really bad lightning and thunder storm and I was all alone. I was shaking uncontrollably, crying, and was very short of breath. The dark is a big problem for me but not as big as the thunderstorms. I put up christmas lights all around my room and that kind of helps me sleep. But I am very sleep deprived because I still know that there is dark all around me so therefor I do not fall asleep till way later in the night when I can no longer keep my eyes open. And I feel like I'm never going to grow out of these fears. So you're not alone.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
4251246 tn?1351726432
Please consider using little nightlights.  They are for anyone who needs a bit of light.  It is enough for you to move about, but not so much you cannot sleep.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Phobias Community Resources