Phobias Community
Fear of Breaking In

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

Fear of Breaking In

Hi Im very new to this site so let me introduce myself first before I get to the problem. Im a 51yr.old wife,mother, and grandmother to 5 and have lived in this same home for 31 yrs. and for the last few yrs. I have trouble sleeping and/or staying asleep because Im always hearing noises or I have this very real feeling like someone is going to break in the house. I cant stand it any more and dont know how to fix it, Im always tired and have been taking over the counter sleeping pills just so I can stay asleep all night. Help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Isthere anything troubling you, is all well at home ,something is concerning you ,it may help ypu to seek out someone to talk to.Do you get on with your daughter or son and grandkids ?
Have you had any major losses or life changes before this started happening?  Traumatic events?  Do you live alone?

There is nothing wrong with having fears, we all do, but when it starts affecting your life, then it has become a problem, and needs addressed with a professional.  Esepcially because you are working at staying up all night, that is not a good habit to get into.  Also, you aren't facing your fears that way, you staying up all night is basically a compulsion to help lessen your anxiety over the fear of a break-in.

I strongly urge you to speak with a therapist.  He/she can work with you, and teach you ways to not have this fear control you like it does.  It will probably never go away completely, but you can certainly get it to a more manageable level.

I wish you the best, let us know how you're doing,
Can you get a security system for your house? Or a guard dog?

In any case, I am not sure where you live, but it might alleviate your fears to investigate crime statistics in your area. Most people tend to overestimate the likelihood that something bad will happen when they are in a chronic state of fear.

If something traumatic has happened to you that is causing you to come to the conclusion that someone will try to break in, it may help to talk to a therapist.

Best of luck.  
EXCELLENT suggestions!!
Thank you for the responses I have talked to someone but not long enough to get any where because we just didnt click and I stopped going. As far as a traumatic event Im not sure exactly how long this has been going on but my parents passed 12 yrs ago thats the most traumatic event lately and I dont believe its been going on that long. I do have a lot of stress concerning my adult kids but sometimes I think I worry too much in that area. My neighbor said maybe its the pre menopause thing, but whatever it is I need to fix it soon. Thank You
Sometimes, finding the "right" therapist requires a bit of a trial and error process.  You may have to try out a few before you find one who you feel comfortable with, which is very important in order to be successful in therapy.

It's good that you know you need some help with this, and are willing to get it.  Let us know how you're doing!
thank you