Phobias Community
Rabies risk or not?

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

Rabies risk or not?

My perhaps strange, but important to me question is:
I believe I have rabies phobia. Recently I stood next to a fence with a hole in it where I have seen some stray cats coming in and out occasionally before. I forgot all about it and was turned away from that fence while looking for something in my car. After about 10 seconds I realized that I was close to that fence being turned away from it, and I quickly moved away. A thought came to my mind if I could be at any risk from rabies from any possible contact with a cat that perhaps I could not see during that brief moment when I was not looking at the fence and occupied with my car? However, I did not see any cat near that fence during that moment. On the other hand, I keep thinking that I would probably feel it, too. Even If some cat got in touch with me and licked me on my leg and I did not see it during that 10 seconds time it would not do anything since I had my long pans on, so its saliva would not penetrate. I am not sure and worry now. Are there any bases to worry here or it is nonsense, and just my phobia, obsession and anxiety talking here? Please answer to help!

Thanks guys!
Tags: raiesrisk
First, I think you have to rationalize this fear (believe me, I am an expert at trying to do this over my own issues).  Is the fear realistic?  Can you even get rabies in that manner?  Even if a cat licked you on the leg when you weren't looking, if it didn't break the skin or it wasn't over a scratch or open sore, you wouldn't have contracted rabies.  Being in an area where possible rabid animals are will not give you rabies.  You weren't bitten nor were you scratched, so I would say the chances of you having rabies are nil.