Phobias Community
What medicines really work for fear of flying?
About This Community:

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What medicines really work for fear of flying?

I openly admit that I am very scared of flying. I have flown quite a few times but the distress became so much that I have not done it for 15 years. I know what keeps a plane in the air and I am fully aware that my fear is neither logical or rational and that I have more chance of being killed by a bee sting than by flying but none of that matters to me, I am just very scared of being in a plane. However, I would actually love to be able to do it because I would like to travel more. I have tried hypnotherapy and Neuro Linguistic Programming but they didn't help at all. Alcohol helps but not as much as I would like. So I am thinking that maybe there is a drug that I could take which although I knew I was flying I just wouldn't care about it. So guys does anyone out there no of any drugs that really do work for this condition please?
Tags: fear of flying, drugs for fear of flying
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1972289_tn?1325881410
It sounds like you have panic attacks surrounding flying?  My doctor has prescribed either xanax or ativan for me for panic attacks.  I've only ever used the xanax - the ativan is a new rx waiting at the pharmacy for me.  But the xanax has been very successful in panic situations.  I don't have a panic disorder but I do struggle with a lot of general anxiety.  I would talk to your doctor about some sort of option of that nature.  Good luck!  Do you have a flight coming up?
Blank
Thanks for your answer but I don't think I have panic attacks. Perhaps a mild form although I understand that if I had a panic attack I would certainly no about it. I just feel very nervous and uncomfortable in a plane to the extent that I cannot do it anymore. I feel similar for all forms of travel but with the exception of being on a plane it is much milder and I can easily cope with it. I don't have a particular flight coming up but I would really like to be able to fly again. The best solution for me would be to take something that would put me to sleep and I wake up when we are there, that would be great but that is not going to happen.
I have also thought about using cannabis and I wonder if this would make me feel such a high that I would not be anxious so I would be very grateful if anyone with experience of using cannabis could give me their opinion.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Phobias Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...