What medicines really work for fear of flying?
I openly admit that I am very scared of flying. I have flown quite a few times but the distress became so much that I have not done it for 15 years. I know what keeps a plane in the air and I am fully aware that my fear is neither logical or rational and that I have more chance of being killed by a bee sting than by flying but none of that matters to me, I am just very scared of being in a plane. However, I would actually love to be able to do it because I would like to travel more. I have tried hypnotherapy and Neuro Linguistic Programming but they didn't help at all. Alcohol helps but not as much as I would like. So I am thinking that maybe there is a drug that I could take which although I knew I was flying I just wouldn't care about it. So guys does anyone out there no of any drugs that really do work for this condition please?
It sounds like you have panic attacks surrounding flying?  My doctor has prescribed either xanax or ativan for me for panic attacks.  I've only ever used the xanax - the ativan is a new rx waiting at the pharmacy for me.  But the xanax has been very successful in panic situations.  I don't have a panic disorder but I do struggle with a lot of general anxiety.  I would talk to your doctor about some sort of option of that nature.  Good luck!  Do you have a flight coming up?
Thanks for your answer but I don't think I have panic attacks. Perhaps a mild form although I understand that if I had a panic attack I would certainly no about it. I just feel very nervous and uncomfortable in a plane to the extent that I cannot do it anymore. I feel similar for all forms of travel but with the exception of being on a plane it is much milder and I can easily cope with it. I don't have a particular flight coming up but I would really like to be able to fly again. The best solution for me would be to take something that would put me to sleep and I wake up when we are there, that would be great but that is not going to happen.
I have also thought about using cannabis and I wonder if this would make me feel such a high that I would not be anxious so I would be very grateful if anyone with experience of using cannabis could give me their opinion.