Phobias Community
terrified of being sick please help!

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

terrified of being sick please help!

Hi I'm looking for some advice if there's anyone reading this tonight. I have a severe phobia of being sick. I'm petrified and I get anxiety and panic attacks that I'm going to be sick even for the most normal thing. It effects all aspects of my life. I watch what I eat and sometimes starve myself as I feel if I don't eat then I can't be sick so to speak. I am having an attack just now and just wondered if anyone out there who may of experienced this could give me some tips or anyway they found things to help them cope. I really panic and it drives me insane! I'd do anything to get rid of this :( and just feel ''Normal'' whatever that may be. Thanks in advance for reading this
   Some of what you are describing sounds of concern. Changing eating patterns in the way you described could effect your health. Some of what you described seems more like obsessive compulsive behavior than anxiety episodes although both could be occuring at once. However only a psychiatrist would be able to determine a diagnosis within their clinical discretion.
   Both of these concerns respond to talk therapy, medication when a psychiatrist determines its needed and especially cognitive behavioral therapy. I know cognitive behavioral has helped people I know with concerns such as this break this type of behavioral patterns. All of this should be discussed with a psychiatrist who would be the appropriate one to follow up with this.
Sounds as though you are describing emetophobia, or fear of vomiting?  If so, you should seek some professional help to learn how to manage the anxiety.  You are allowing the anxiety to affect your eating habits, which is unhealthy and actually only serving to fuel that fear more.  The more you avoid eating, the worse this will become.

Please get yourself some help!