Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Bad Swollen Knee

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Bad Swollen Knee

Hello all. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but in my search it seemed like the one closest to what I was looking for.
So I have a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament in my right knee. I've had it for the past 3 years but I've still been able to walk with minor pains at times. Recently, 5 days ago I think, I fell on this knee pretty badly and as you can imagine this brought a world of pain. When I got home, I rubbed some Hotemin cream on the knee, I put a wrap on it and I took an Acteric tablet to help with the pain of walking (or limping, in my case).

The wrap was one of those you just pull over the knee, not an actual length of cloth wrapped around the knee and at first I thought it was just the right fit, being a little tight. I wore the wrap for three days, while removing it once in a while to apply some more Hotemin and for showers. I kept it on that long out of fear that if it wasn't present, my knee might wobble too much and I'd injure myself again.

On the third day, it felt like it was cutting off blood circulation with each step I took and so I removed it immediately. I had believed that the couple times I had removed it would have been enough to avoid any circulation problems but it seems I was wrong.  

Now, my problem is that my right knee is still looking pretty swollen AND now my right calf is a bit swollen too. The calf hurts a bit with some areas on it (the calf) hurting when I touch them. I don't know why these areas hurt. Also, the calf gets really hard when I walk on the right leg. I still cannot bend my knee as much as I used to and the added calf pains and swelling has me believing I may have made a terrible mistake wearing that wrap for so long.

Also, the sides of the injured knee hurt when I touch them. Is there anyone who could advise me on what to do next, please?
I suggest you see an orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible.  Your calf should be evaluated as well for the possibilty of a DVT.  The MD will be able to give you a great path of direction.  Best in health, JAG
Thank you for the reply. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon today. I did a Doppler ultrasound and there no signs of DVT. An MRI is recommended but given time to heal, it should be ok. Any more suggestions are welcome.