Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Bump on sternum?

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Bump on sternum?

I got elbowed pretty hard in the sternum area, usually I could walk it off, but I'm still pained there and I have an unusual bump about the size 2 inches long and 1 inch wide right below the sternum. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it normal from a hard hit like this?
It is recommeded that you get an xray and also a soft tissue examinations of the area.  If you are having trouble breathing please get to and emergency room asap.  It can be a simple as a contusion from the blow you took or as bad as a fracture.  Either way seek medical attention.  Best in health, JAG