Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Knee Injury

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Knee Injury

I play rugby. Around 2 or 3 months ago I got tackled and landed pretty hard on my knees. My left knee since then has been extremely tender and each time I play it becomes very painful and swollen again. Whenever I walk up stairs my left knee makes a clicking noise and if I touch and feel my knee it feels like a grinding sensation inside my knee. I've been icing my knee after each game and the next few days following. It is uncomfortable to walk on it at times but not necessarily painful or impossible. I have started going to the gym again. Running on the track feels fine, however I went on a stationary bike and everytime i rotated the pedals I felt pain in my knee, almost as though it was going to crack, but it never would. Games are over for the next few months now. Would it be best to take advantage of the break and just rest or would it be best to go see a doctor or physio?
It can always be beneficial to see an orthopedist to take x-rays for any joint or cartilage damage that may have, or be, occurring.  From your description is sounds as though you may have some softening and irritation of the cartilage beneath the knee cap (patella).  Ideally rest and ice ill help to decrease the inflammation which may be contributing to your discomfort as well as a good strengthening program for the quads, hips, and ankle during the down time of your sport.

Best in Health,

JAG