Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Long term management of Back Injury (need more miles)
About This Forum:

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Long term management of Back Injury (need more miles)

I am a 35 year old male and I severely ruptured a disc when I was 17, which basically crippled me for 6 months until I had surgery (L4/L5) to remove some of the disc material relieving the pressure on the nerve. After the surgery I could  walk, and have been active since. I have been diligent in my rehab exercises and have maintained a healthy body weight, and diet in to order to get as many miles out of my back as I can, before it wears out. I also see Physio’s and Doctors about every two months. Recently I have started having to take NSAIDs about once a month. I know that I am going to eventually have to get more surgery.

My question is would a controlled yearly course of anabolic steroids (or equivalent) combined with training, increase the stability of the region allowing me get more miles out of my back.
Should I ask my doctor or am I just going to look like an idiot?
1656421_tn?1303916054
With regard to anabolic steroids your physician is the only person that can prescribe them for you.  However, the main reason for an acceptable prescription of these steroids in the case of low testosterone or anemia.  A problem with anabolic steroids even if your physician were to agree to give them to you would be once you completed the cycle it is very difficult to maintain the results you get once you are off of them.  Then overuse of the drug can cause many long-term side effects.  So to answer your questions, yes you can increase muscle mass around the discs in your back if trained correctly, however, the likelihood of it alleviating your back pain is unrealistic.  You can ask your doctor if you should choose to.  My personal opinion is that anabolic steroids are not the answer to long-term function concerning your low back.

Best in Health,
JAG
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...